Skip to main content

2 Reasons Why I will Return to Kentucky


The Kentucky Derby and the Bourbon Trail – 2 Reasons why I will Return to Kentucky

With little time to spend in the Blue Grass State I was still able to get a glimpse of why I want to return to Kentucky. No, I’m not talking finger-licking-good chicken. The reasons I will return to Kentucky, The Kentucky Derby Museum and the Bourbon Trail.  Although I’m not a huge horse race fan (I prefer wiener dogs),  or a huge whiskey fan (I prefer beer), I couldn’t leave the state without at least seeing the famous Kentucky Derby grounds or tasting some bourbon straight from the source.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
After touring the Louisville slugger Museum and factory (A Must see when visiting the city) we drove through a less than posh area of town before arriving at the expensive Kentucky Derby grounds. I had no idea just how massive this horse track is. Although there is a museum on site we didn’t have enough time to check it out. A shame, as I do love a good sports story. Reluctantly we moved on but not with out the promise of a return to Kentucky to properly check out the derby. A bit of a downer but there were more important things coming up.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The Bourbon Trail

Yup. That exists. It was a shock to us as well. So much so that as we passed a sign advertising the exit Erin shouted “stop the car!” As we took the exit I looked it up and found that it links 9 historic distilleries over 100 miles. We wanted to hit Maker’s Mark but it was a little too far off the beaten path. Instead we stopped in at the massive Jim Beam facility and were subsequently glad we did.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Now I’m not a Bourbon fan but love a good story and a little history. Of all the bourbon being made in the hills of Kentucky, Jim Beam has history and stories in spades. Since the mid 1800’s the Beam family has been making bourbon in Kentucky. They survived prohibition and have risen to become one of the biggest distributors in the world.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

No Time for a Guided Tour

Since the Bourbon Trail hadn’t been planned for we were limited on time to visit. Instead of a detailed guided tour we wandered the historic grounds of old family homes and factories on our own before settling in the tasting room. Included in your self-guided (and free) tour is two shots of the good stuff. Sounds great however there is close to 30 Different types of bourbon to choose from. Thankfully the helpful staff pointed us in the direction of the small batches and therefore most expensive stuff. Even though it all tastes like burning to me, the 12-year-old signature craft was nice on that exceptionally chilly day.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

All in all, the Kentucky Derby and the Bourbon Trail were two great finds cut too short. No worries. I will definitely return to Kentucky to visit the Kentucky Derby Museum and maybe see a race. I will also return to Kentucky to drink my way through the Bourbon Trail.

It’s important to set goals people.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Tripping Dartmoor National Park

Exploring Dartmoor in the Vauxhall Mokka X United Kingdom Petting a wild pony in Dartmoor National Park probably wasn’t the best idea. It lunged for my hand, attempting to bite. There’s a reason these furry ponies are called “wild!” Dartmoor has sometimes been described as the ‘last wilderness’ of the United Kingdom. Its vast open landscape is home to a variety of unique features — wet peaty bogs, stunted oak forests, rocky outcroppings called “tors”, and icy mountain waterfalls. If you’re looking to escape London for a while, Dartmoor National Park is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the serenity of nature. The park is only a 4-5 hour drive away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My friends at Vauxhall loaned me their new Mokka X SUV for the trip, a fun city-friendly turbo diesel with 4×4 capability that can handle off-the-beaten-path adventures. Wild Dartmoor Ponies Lone Hawthorne Tree at Sunset Exploring Dartmoor In Autumn Autumn in Dartmoor is a beautiful

Why Koh Mook is My New Favourite Thai Island

I’ve spent a lot of time in Thailand. It’s one of my favourite countries in the world, however basic that may make me. I just can’t get enough of this beautiful, warm, and fascinating country. Ever since my first visit in 2011, I’ve made the effort to return each and every year, and with each new visit, I attempt to check out a new part of the country.  Last year, it was time to visit the Trang islands, and they fast became my favourite area in all of Thailand. And Koh Mook? My new favourite island. My first glimpse of Koh Mook, from the ferry ride to shore. Yeah, that beach looked pretty wonderful. I’d loved the previous few days I’d spent on expensive Koh Ngai, but I was excited to move on. Island-hopping in Thailand is one of my favourite pastimes so the prospect of checking out a new spot always has me bouncing around a ferry with excitement.  Koh Mook was just a seven-mile journey from Koh Ngai, so we reached the island in around half an hour, pulling up to a super-long pier

12 Things from Trader Joe’s to Take on a Plane

We love Trader Joe’s lists that have cropped up on the internet lately, like this one or this one. And, surprisingly, Trader Joe’s pasta won a New York magazine taste test over more expensive pasta brands. But we wondered – what are the best items for travelers to pick up at Trader Joe’s? Portable products are key – we can’t tote a pack of frozen mandarin orange chicken in our carry-on bag. Our Virtuoso picks for the best Trader Joe’s items to bring on a plane: Freeze-Dried Fruit   Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and more – when you need a shot of antioxidants and a bland airport melon cup won’t do, Trader Joe’s freeze-dried fruit is the answer. Kids love them! Bring a wet wipe to clean fruit-stained fingers. Bars, Bars, Bars A must-have in every plane bag is your favorite granola bar or energy bar. Most Trader Joe’s locations carry a variety of bars, like the popular Quest and Luna bar brands. Organic String Cheese Stash a couple of pieces of organic string cheese