Skip to main content

When your worth depends on material possessions

Some time ago, a friend told me he wanted to invite several of his high school friends to his house.  He was going to pay to watch one of those big boxing events in his TV.  He wanted to use the moment to reunite with old friends.  For some reason, he looked worried.

Me:  What is going on?  It will be fun to have all your friends at home.

Him: I am not sure I want to invite them.  I thought about calling them but I am not sure anymore.

Me: Why?

Him: Because they seem to be interested in talking about how many things they have.  They talk about their trucks, clothes and houses.  Then, they start asking all of these inappropriate questions to find information about what you have done after high school.  I feel like my worth as a person is determined by how many material possessions I have.

After listening, I totally understood him.  I have been in that position too.  All I have to say is that, for me, situations like that are heartbreaking.

What you want to do when you haven’t seen a person for a long time?  In my case, after the hugs and kisses, I want to know how is that person “doing”.  And by “doing”, I am referring to how that person is living life.  Are you healthy? Are you happy?  How is your family? Do you have a family of your own now?  Where are you living?  What have been your life experiences?  What have you learned from life?  Are you a different person now?  Those are the things I want to know.  I want to be able to reconnect with that person after years of absence in his/her life.  And, of course, I want to remember the moments we shared together in the past.  The funny, the odd or the scary.  I don’t know if it just me but I am not interested in how many things that person has.  If I want to know about people with money, I can stay home and watch MTV’s Cribs. Because, if you tell me about your things, what that tells me about you as a person?

But, apparently, not everybody thinks like me.  Sometimes when you arrange a meeting with your friends, it turns into a “Let see who is the most successful person in here” contest.  In order to participate you have to talk nonstop about all the things you have acquired during your adult life.  I have a house with a pool, a Jacuzzi and a 4 car garage.  I make 150,000 a year.  I shop at exclusive retailers.  Let’s go to the parking lot.  I am going to show you my new super, extra big SUV.  Oh, I was looking for my Chapstick in my purse and I found a stack of 25 pictures of my 2 houses on 2 different states (this line is inspired by a real life event).   The other way to gain points involves the use of questions to make your opponents look like losers.  Ask derogatory, insensitive and inappropriate questions to discover your opponent weaknesses.

And after listening to all this rubbish, you ask yourself, where all my dear friends went (this is the heartbreaking part)?  I want to be with my friends but I can’t find them.  The saddest part is that I may never see them again.  What I understood is that life is like that.  Some people’s lives are defined for what they have.  They breathe for their possessions.  Nothing matters more than this.  People you know are not immune to this.  Sometimes there is nothing you can do for them.

All of this may sound awful but you know it happens, maybe every day.  I want to ask you, are you participating in the contest?  Are you wasting your precious time with family and friends because you are talking nonstop about how many great things you have?  Are you hurting your love ones while trying to put yourself over them?

No matter what others believe, your worth as a person is not defined by your material possessions.  Who I am to say something like this?  Well, let’s think a little bit in here.  Things are here today but we don’t know if they are going to be here tomorrow.  If you put all your faith in the things you have, then your life is going to be over when they are not around anymore.  Life is more than transitory things.  If you don’t believe this, you are missing a lot.

Next time you see someone you haven’t seen in a long time, show them the real you (your heart).  Hug her, kiss her, tell her that you always remember her.  I am sure she will recognize you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Tripping Dartmoor National Park

Exploring Dartmoor in the Vauxhall Mokka X United Kingdom Petting a wild pony in Dartmoor National Park probably wasn’t the best idea. It lunged for my hand, attempting to bite. There’s a reason these furry ponies are called “wild!” Dartmoor has sometimes been described as the ‘last wilderness’ of the United Kingdom. Its vast open landscape is home to a variety of unique features — wet peaty bogs, stunted oak forests, rocky outcroppings called “tors”, and icy mountain waterfalls. If you’re looking to escape London for a while, Dartmoor National Park is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the serenity of nature. The park is only a 4-5 hour drive away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My friends at Vauxhall loaned me their new Mokka X SUV for the trip, a fun city-friendly turbo diesel with 4×4 capability that can handle off-the-beaten-path adventures. Wild Dartmoor Ponies Lone Hawthorne Tree at Sunset Exploring Dartmoor In Autumn Autumn in Dartmoor is a beautiful

Why Koh Mook is My New Favourite Thai Island

I’ve spent a lot of time in Thailand. It’s one of my favourite countries in the world, however basic that may make me. I just can’t get enough of this beautiful, warm, and fascinating country. Ever since my first visit in 2011, I’ve made the effort to return each and every year, and with each new visit, I attempt to check out a new part of the country.  Last year, it was time to visit the Trang islands, and they fast became my favourite area in all of Thailand. And Koh Mook? My new favourite island. My first glimpse of Koh Mook, from the ferry ride to shore. Yeah, that beach looked pretty wonderful. I’d loved the previous few days I’d spent on expensive Koh Ngai, but I was excited to move on. Island-hopping in Thailand is one of my favourite pastimes so the prospect of checking out a new spot always has me bouncing around a ferry with excitement.  Koh Mook was just a seven-mile journey from Koh Ngai, so we reached the island in around half an hour, pulling up to a super-long pier

12 Things from Trader Joe’s to Take on a Plane

We love Trader Joe’s lists that have cropped up on the internet lately, like this one or this one. And, surprisingly, Trader Joe’s pasta won a New York magazine taste test over more expensive pasta brands. But we wondered – what are the best items for travelers to pick up at Trader Joe’s? Portable products are key – we can’t tote a pack of frozen mandarin orange chicken in our carry-on bag. Our Virtuoso picks for the best Trader Joe’s items to bring on a plane: Freeze-Dried Fruit   Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and more – when you need a shot of antioxidants and a bland airport melon cup won’t do, Trader Joe’s freeze-dried fruit is the answer. Kids love them! Bring a wet wipe to clean fruit-stained fingers. Bars, Bars, Bars A must-have in every plane bag is your favorite granola bar or energy bar. Most Trader Joe’s locations carry a variety of bars, like the popular Quest and Luna bar brands. Organic String Cheese Stash a couple of pieces of organic string cheese