Skip to main content

Salem Sue – The World’s Largest Holstein Cow Statue

We love a good world’s largest something or other reason to get off the highway along the way on our #EpicUSroadtrip. Its not every day you see the world’s largest Holstein cow statue now is it? So of course, we had to pull off the road to check out this beauty of a statue. We couldn’t leave North Dakota without getting a selfie with Salem Sue herself.

Salem Sue, New Salem North Dakota

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-4

Traveling down Hwy 94 heading toward the Theodore Roosevelt National Park we spotted signs for Salem Sue. A quick check of our awesome Rand McNally road atlas and sure enough. New Salem, North Dakota made the map for their Salem Sue the World’s Largest Holstein Cow statue. As we approached New Salem on the highway we caught our first glimpse of Salem Sue herself propped high on a hill looking out onto the road. They weren’t lying, she’s pretty big.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-5

As we approached the big beautiful black and white painted fiberglass beauty, something else caught our eyes. The base of the hill that Salem Sue calls home is filled with another thing that North Dakota is famous for, sunflowers.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue

For almost as far as the eye can see are fields filled with bright yellow. We had to take a short detour from our detour and some pictures of the pretty yellow field.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-6

Once we finished with the sunflowers it was back to business. Up the hill, we went to see Sue. As big as she looks from the road, she looks even bigger standing under her larger than life utters!

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-2

But seriously the statue is 38 feet tall and 50 feet long and proudly puts the town of New Salem, North Dakota on the map.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-10

Literally, it puts New Salem on the map. To make a nationally published major road atlas, I guess is a pretty big deal. For a part of the state that doesn’t have much in the way of tourism, I guess you have to make it up. It works I guess. While we were up checking out Sue people would come and go, but there was always someone up there with us. Sue isn’t the only draw to the area. Down the road, a bit lives the world’s largest tin family and a bunch of other large metal world’s largest things.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - World's Largest Holstein Cow Statue0015

So next time you’re heading toward Theodore Roosevelt National (which I highly recommend you visit) take a few minutes and visit Salem Sue off of I-94 just before Dickinson, North Dakota.

Salem Sue - North Dakota - world's largest holstein cow statue-7

What’s the quirkiest roadside attraction that has ever got you to pull off the road?

*Thanks to the North Dakota Tourism for inviting us to your great state*

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Tripping Dartmoor National Park

Exploring Dartmoor in the Vauxhall Mokka X United Kingdom Petting a wild pony in Dartmoor National Park probably wasn’t the best idea. It lunged for my hand, attempting to bite. There’s a reason these furry ponies are called “wild!” Dartmoor has sometimes been described as the ‘last wilderness’ of the United Kingdom. Its vast open landscape is home to a variety of unique features — wet peaty bogs, stunted oak forests, rocky outcroppings called “tors”, and icy mountain waterfalls. If you’re looking to escape London for a while, Dartmoor National Park is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the serenity of nature. The park is only a 4-5 hour drive away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My friends at Vauxhall loaned me their new Mokka X SUV for the trip, a fun city-friendly turbo diesel with 4×4 capability that can handle off-the-beaten-path adventures. Wild Dartmoor Ponies Lone Hawthorne Tree at Sunset Exploring Dartmoor In Autumn Autumn in Dartmoor is a beautiful

Why Koh Mook is My New Favourite Thai Island

I’ve spent a lot of time in Thailand. It’s one of my favourite countries in the world, however basic that may make me. I just can’t get enough of this beautiful, warm, and fascinating country. Ever since my first visit in 2011, I’ve made the effort to return each and every year, and with each new visit, I attempt to check out a new part of the country.  Last year, it was time to visit the Trang islands, and they fast became my favourite area in all of Thailand. And Koh Mook? My new favourite island. My first glimpse of Koh Mook, from the ferry ride to shore. Yeah, that beach looked pretty wonderful. I’d loved the previous few days I’d spent on expensive Koh Ngai, but I was excited to move on. Island-hopping in Thailand is one of my favourite pastimes so the prospect of checking out a new spot always has me bouncing around a ferry with excitement.  Koh Mook was just a seven-mile journey from Koh Ngai, so we reached the island in around half an hour, pulling up to a super-long pier

A Guide to the Epic Christmas & Medieval Market in Esslingen (Voted Germany’s #1 Christmas City!)

  I’m no stranger to the magical wonders of German Christmas markets, but if I were to pick a single city last year that really wowed me and spun me into borderline obsession, it would be the Esslingen Christmas Market & Medieval Market, located near Stuttgart. There’s musical performers on stilts! There’s liquor peddled in potion bottles! There’s vendors decked in costume! Mix that all with the half-timbered backdrop of Esslingen, and it’s about the coolest and most unique Christmas market in the country. I visited Esslingen last year and found myself immersed in a time-warp wonderland of feltmakers, blacksmiths and basket weavers. But that’s not all – Esslingen actually has two separate markets: the traditional Christmas market and the Medieval market, together offering hundreds of unique stalls selling everything you can imagine. It’s all a bit overwhelming, but in the most wonderful way. So, what did I see? Where did I go? If you’re interested in visiting the Esslingen C