Skip to main content

Finding Accommodation in London: Hotel Alternatives

Due to airlines being weird and round-trip flights actually being cheaper than one-way ones, I headed back to London once again on my way to Hong Kong.

I LOVE London; it's probably my favorite large city in the world. But loving London does not make it any cheaper.

London Eye

When it comes to finding accommodation in England's capital, it can be tricky to find something that is in a good location but won't totally drain your wallet. For me, normal hotels in London are pretty much always out of contention; there's no way that you will find me paying $200+ per night for a standard hotel room.

So, after a couple years of trying out various places to rest my head in London, I've come up with a list of accommodation options in the city that DON'T include a pricey hotel stay:

Stay with a friend

The cheapest option, of course, is to make friends with someone who lives in London. I'm lucky to have a couple of good friends in the city who are usually gracious enough to offer me a couch or bed when I'm in town, but I know that not everyone has this option available to them.

Similar to this option would be to try out Couchsurfing. Personally, though, as a female who usually travels alone, I tend to shy away from any option that involves me staying for free in a stranger's home.

Homestay

Dublin Homestay

Slightly less creepy to me is the idea of a homestay — staying with a family or couple in their home while they are around. Since this option usually means you're just renting a room, it's generally way cheaper than a hotel, and sometimes even cheaper than hostels.

I tried out a homestay recently in Dublin and really enjoyed it. It was much “homier” than any other accommodation option I've tried, with my host giving me tips for the city and even making me breakfast and lunch while I was staying with her.

Hostels

If you want to meet other travelers or just have a bit more independence, hostels are a great option all across Europe. In London, however, there are not as many great hostels as one would hope, and the ones that DO come highly recommended (like Safestay and Palmer's Lodge) usually still aren't particularly cheap. Another downside for me is that most London hostels I've researched only offer dorm room beds. And, as someone who likes her personal space, this doesn't really appeal to me if I know there are other options out there.

Budget hotels

The good thing about traveling to a big city like London is that there's a lot of competition when it comes to the accommodation business. Recently, “budget” hotels have been popping up all over — very basic hotels where you get a very small room and pay extra for things like a TV or wifi access. Kind of a cross between a private hostel room and a normal hotel, properties like Tune Hotels are becoming more and more popular for short stays.

I haven't tried any of these budget properties yet, but it's nice to have that option available.

AirBnB

AirBnB is a great concept — people with extra rooms, empty flats, or who are going out of town for a while rent out their space to you, usually at pretty affordable rates. If you're renting a private room, an Air BnB experience can be very much like the homestays mentioned above, though you usually won't have meals included. In many instances, though (and especially if you are renting out a whole apartment), you are on your own.

I've had great Air BnB experiences in the U.S. before, though this usually isn't the cheapest option unless you are traveling with other people.

Apartment rentals

Lamington Apartments

Lastly, there are straight-up apartment rentals to consider. These are especially great for long-term stays because you can relax in your own private space and feel more like a local than a tourist. There are a TON of short-stay apartments in London, as well as a few options for longer-term travels, too. I've rented an apartment on two separate occasions in London, and really enjoyed it both times. Just be sure to pick a place that's close to a tube station or bus stop so that you can get around easily, since many apartments for rent are outside of central London.

 

No matter what your preferences or budget, one of these options will probably work for you in London — and probably work better for you than your average (and expensive) hotel stay.

(This post is a spin-off from my Ways to Save Money in London post, which you may also enjoy!)

——

Which option would be YOUR choice in London?

 

 

*Note: This post was written by me, but was brought to you by a third party.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Road Tripping Dartmoor National Park

Exploring Dartmoor in the Vauxhall Mokka X United Kingdom Petting a wild pony in Dartmoor National Park probably wasn’t the best idea. It lunged for my hand, attempting to bite. There’s a reason these furry ponies are called “wild!” Dartmoor has sometimes been described as the ‘last wilderness’ of the United Kingdom. Its vast open landscape is home to a variety of unique features — wet peaty bogs, stunted oak forests, rocky outcroppings called “tors”, and icy mountain waterfalls. If you’re looking to escape London for a while, Dartmoor National Park is an excellent place to relax and enjoy the serenity of nature. The park is only a 4-5 hour drive away from the hustle & bustle of the city. My friends at Vauxhall loaned me their new Mokka X SUV for the trip, a fun city-friendly turbo diesel with 4×4 capability that can handle off-the-beaten-path adventures. Wild Dartmoor Ponies Lone Hawthorne Tree at Sunset Exploring Dartmoor In Autumn Autumn in Dartmoor is a beautiful

Why Koh Mook is My New Favourite Thai Island

I’ve spent a lot of time in Thailand. It’s one of my favourite countries in the world, however basic that may make me. I just can’t get enough of this beautiful, warm, and fascinating country. Ever since my first visit in 2011, I’ve made the effort to return each and every year, and with each new visit, I attempt to check out a new part of the country.  Last year, it was time to visit the Trang islands, and they fast became my favourite area in all of Thailand. And Koh Mook? My new favourite island. My first glimpse of Koh Mook, from the ferry ride to shore. Yeah, that beach looked pretty wonderful. I’d loved the previous few days I’d spent on expensive Koh Ngai, but I was excited to move on. Island-hopping in Thailand is one of my favourite pastimes so the prospect of checking out a new spot always has me bouncing around a ferry with excitement.  Koh Mook was just a seven-mile journey from Koh Ngai, so we reached the island in around half an hour, pulling up to a super-long pier

12 Things from Trader Joe’s to Take on a Plane

We love Trader Joe’s lists that have cropped up on the internet lately, like this one or this one. And, surprisingly, Trader Joe’s pasta won a New York magazine taste test over more expensive pasta brands. But we wondered – what are the best items for travelers to pick up at Trader Joe’s? Portable products are key – we can’t tote a pack of frozen mandarin orange chicken in our carry-on bag. Our Virtuoso picks for the best Trader Joe’s items to bring on a plane: Freeze-Dried Fruit   Blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, and more – when you need a shot of antioxidants and a bland airport melon cup won’t do, Trader Joe’s freeze-dried fruit is the answer. Kids love them! Bring a wet wipe to clean fruit-stained fingers. Bars, Bars, Bars A must-have in every plane bag is your favorite granola bar or energy bar. Most Trader Joe’s locations carry a variety of bars, like the popular Quest and Luna bar brands. Organic String Cheese Stash a couple of pieces of organic string cheese